Are you tired of stuck or malfunctioning keys on your mechanical keyboard? Remove Mechanical Keyboard Keys for cleaning or replacement is easier than you think!
In this guide, we’ll walk you through the step-by-step process of removing keys from your mechanical keyboard, with tips and tricks to make the job as seamless as possible.
Say goodbye to stuck or dirty keys and hello to a refreshed keyboard with improved performance. Continue reading to learn how to remove mechanical keyboard keys.
Quick Answer !
To remove mechanical keyboard keys, you need a keycap puller. Simply insert the arms of the puller under the keycap, press down on the keycap, and then pull the keycap away from the keyboard. Repeat the process for each keycap you wish to remove.
How to Remove Mechanical Keyboard Keys? Step by Step Guide
Mechanical keyboards are a popular choice for gamers and typists alike, thanks to their durability and improved typing experience.
As you know, over time, keys can become stuck, dirty, or malfunction. To keep your keyboard in top condition, you may need to remove keys for cleaning or replacement.
Here we’ll show you how to remove keys from your mechanical keyboard, step-by-step.
Step 1: Determine the Type of Mechanical Keyboard
There are several types of mechanical keyboards, each with different keycap designs and removal methods. To determine the type of keyboard you have, check the manufacturer’s website or manual.
Step 2: Gather Your Tools
Before starting, you’ll need a few tools to make the key removal process easier:
These are the Tools that you Need.
- Keycap puller: A small tool that helps you remove keycaps without damaging them.
- Tweezers or pliers: To help grip and remove stubborn keycaps.
- Screwdriver: Some keyboards have screws under the keycaps that need to be removed first.
Step 3: Remove Keycaps
Standard Keycaps: For standard mechanical keyboards, simply insert the keycap puller under the keycap and gently pull up. Repeat for each keycap you want to remove.
Cherry MX Keycaps: To remove Cherry MX keycaps, insert the keycap puller into the gap between the keycap and the keyboard and gently pull up.
Topre Keycaps: Topre keycaps are more challenging to remove as they are fastened with clips. Insert the keycap puller under the keycap and gently pull up, then use tweezers or pliers to carefully release the clips.
Step 4: Clean Keycaps and Keyboard
Once you’ve removed the keycaps, clean them and the keyboard with a microfiber cloth and mild soap and water. Make sure to dry the keyboard and keycaps completely before reassembling.
Step 5: Reassemble Keycaps
To reassemble the keycaps, simply align them with the corresponding switches and gently press down until they snap into place.
Here is the Video Guide about How to remove the Keycaps of a Mechanical keyboard.
How Does Mechanical Keyboard Work?
What can I use instead of a keycap puller?
If you don’t have a keycap puller, you can use several household items as a substitute:
- Spudger or plastic opening tool: These tools are often used in electronics repair and can be used to gently pry keycaps off of a keyboard.
- Paperclip: Straighten out a paperclip and use the pointed end to gently pry the keycap off.
- Tweezers: A pair of tweezers can be used to grab the keycap and gently pull it off.
- Knife or flat screwdriver: Gently insert a knife or flat screwdriver under the keycap and use leverage to pry it off.
Keep in Mind that, When using these substitute tools, be careful not to damage the keycap or the keyboard. If you’re unsure or nervous, consider using a proper keycap puller.
Is it OK to remove keycaps with fingers?
Removing keycaps with just your fingers is possible for some keyboards, but not recommended for all, because its slower and painful Process. Some keycaps may have a loose fit and can be easily removed with your fingers, while others may be tightly secured to the keyboard and require a tool for removal.
Using your fingers to remove keycaps can also increase the risk of damaging the keycap or the keyboard. The oils on your fingers can also transfer onto the keycaps and attract dirt and dust.
If you’re unsure if your keycaps can be removed with your fingers, it’s best to use a proper keycap puller or a substitute tool to avoid damaging the keycaps or the keyboard.
How to Make a DIY Keycap Puller? Step by Step Guide
Here we will guide you to make a DIY keycap puller. We try our best to share with you easiest methods that you can follow to make DIY Puller.
- Two paper clips or wire coat hangers
- Wire cutters
Steps to Make DIYA Keycaps Puller:
- Take two paper clips or wire coat hangers and straighten them out.
- Cut two pieces of wire, each about 3 inches long.
- Take one piece of wire and bend it into a hook shape, with the hook facing upwards. Repeat this step with the second piece of wire.
- Take one hook and bend the end of it downwards, towards the hook’s base, creating a small “foot.” Repeat this step with the second hook.
- Take the two hooks and place them opposite each other, so that the hooks face inwards and the feet are touching.
- Use the pliers to pinch the feet together, securing the hooks in place.
- Use the wire cutters to trim any excess wire, if needed.
Your DIY keycap puller is now ready to use. Simply insert the hooks under the keycap, press down on the keycap, and then pull the keycap away from the keyboard.
Here is an Alternative Method to Make DIYA Keycaps Puller.
Do keycap pullers damage keycaps?
No! Keycap pullers are specifically designed to remove keycaps without damaging them. When used properly, a keycap puller should not cause any damage to the keycaps.
But, if a keycap puller is not used properly, there is a risk of damaging the keycaps or the keyboard. For example, if the arms of the keycap puller are not inserted under the keycap properly or if too much force is used when removing the keycap, there is a risk of damaging the keycap or the keyboard.
To avoid damaging the keycaps or the keyboard, it’s important to follow the manufacturer’s instructions and use the keycap puller properly. If you’re unsure or nervous, consider using a substitute tool or seeking assistance from someone with experience.
Why should Remove Your Keycaps Of keyboard?
There are several reasons to remove the keycaps from a mechanical keyboard:
- Cleaning: Removing the keycaps allows you to clean the keyboard thoroughly, including removing debris and dust from under the keys.
- Keycap customization: Some people like to change the keycaps to different colors or designs to personalize their keyboard.
- Maintenance: Removing keycaps can make it easier to access and clean the switches underneath.
- Key Switch replacement: In some cases, you may need to replace a key switch and removing the keycap is the first step in this process.
- Testing: Removing keycaps can allow you to test individual key switches to ensure they are functioning properly.
Removing keys from your mechanical keyboard is a simple process that can greatly improve its performance and longevity.
Whether you’re dealing with dirty or stuck keys, or need to replace a key, following the steps in this guide will have you typing on a refreshed keyboard in no time.
What is a keycap puller and why do I need one?
A keycap puller is a tool designed to safely remove keycaps from a mechanical keyboard without damaging the keycap or the keyboard. A keycap puller is necessary because some keycaps can be tightly secured to the keyboard and require a tool to remove them.
Can I remove keycaps without a keycap puller?
You can be removed without a keycap puller by using your fingers or a substitute tool such as a paperclip, tweezers, or plastic opening tool.
But, not all keycaps can be removed this way and using a substitute tool increases the risk of damaging the keycap or the keyboard. It’s best to use a proper keycap puller if one is available.
Will removing keycaps damage my keyboard?
A: Removing keycaps should not damage your keyboard when done properly with a keycap puller or a substitute tool.
if too much force is used when removing the keycaps, there is a risk of damaging the keycap or the keyboard.
To avoid damaging the keyboard, it’s important to follow the manufacturer’s instructions and use the keycap puller or substitute tool properly.
Can I clean my keyboard without removing the keycaps?
Yes, you can clean your keyboard without removing the keycaps. However, removing the keycaps allows you to clean the keyboard thoroughly, including removing debris and dust from under the keys.
If you choose to clean the keyboard without removing the keycaps, be sure to use a soft, damp cloth and avoid getting any liquids on the keyboard.
I am Rai Saleem (MSc. Computer Science). Worked with Different Tech StartUps. I have 4+ Years of Working Experience in the Computer Industry. On This platform, I share My Experience and Providing Solutions for Computer problems.
I Started This Journey From 2G internet with 30KB downloading Speed to This modern 5G World. Now Sharing My IT Experience With loving People Like You. I am addicted to This Drug of Computer Science since My Childhood When I Got my first core 2 duo Pc.